How Do You Clean Air Ducts in Your House? Is Expert Service Necessary?
The air duct cleaning process is an intensive exercise that needs proper planning and the right mindset.
If you want to clean your air ducts in-house, first note the following:
- Air duct cleaning is not an easy job. It requires energy, as it involves a lot of manual work and might take longer than you imagined.
- Be ready to uncover stuff that might be upsetting to some people: dead rodents, molds, animal and insect droppings, among others.
- The process requires specialized equipment that may not be at your disposal.
- There are risks involved, including tearing and damaging your ducts. You might not know just how delicate the surface you are cleaning is, and any slight mishandling could cause serious performance issues.
Does having an expert help out? Yes, for sure. There are many materials you need to perform duct cleaning, many of which you won’t have at home and will need to purchase. Instead of purchasing so many materials, it’s cheaper to just hire a company instead!
- Heavy gloves, dust mask and goggles: You’ll need to wear this during your DIY duct cleaning process for obvious reasons.
- Furnace filter: Also needed for obvious reasons.
- Vacuum: Should have a long hose. This is not your home vacuum but a vacuum created specifically for duct cleaning.
- Stiff-bristle brush: You could use a toilet brush, paintbrush or a rotary dryer vent-cleaning brush. Just ensure it has a long handle.
- Screwdriver/hex driver: To undo the fasteners that hold your registers and refasten air grille plates together. Find one that is compatible with the screws on your system.
- Paper towels: To cover your system inlets and already-cleaned registers. You can use cloths or rags if you don’t have paper towels as long as dust doesn’t find its way back in.
Is Expert Service Necessary?
Yes! That’s why professional duct cleaning companies like us exist. DIY duct cleaning is tough and can cause more harm than good.
- Expert air duct cleaners have the right equipment and materials to clean your system and can reach places you might be unable to reach during your DIY process. That makes professional cleaning thorough and effective.
- Experts can recognize dangerous molds and have the right tools to remove it.
- Professionals know which parts are delicate and will handle your system with more care.
- Expert technicians have the proper training to accomplish the task; training which you likely do not have!
Why You Shouldn’t Try DIY Duct Cleaning
There are several reasons why we don’t recommend you attempt to clean your air ducts yourself.
1. Duct Damage
With DIY duct cleaning, you’ll always run the risk of tearing your ducts, especially if they’re flex ducts. Flex ducts are prone to more damage because they’re made from thin plastic. Your ductwork is an important component of your HVAC system, and it is highly sensitive. To put this into perspective, even a tiny hole in your ductwork will cause the airflow inside your house to reduce, thus reducing the efficiency of your HVAC system and increasing your utility bills.
2. Less Effective Cleaning
With DIY cleaning, you might be able to slightly clean the front part if the ducts, but it won’t be nearly as effective as the deep cleaning job done by professional cleaners. Professionals have heavy-duty equipment like high-powered vacuums and up to 150 feet of hose. With your equipment, you won’t be able to reach every corner of your ductwork. The heavy-duty equipment brought by professionals lets them do a more thorough and effective cleaning.
3. It’s Dangerous!
You might be willing to do DIY cleaning to save some bucks, but we recommend you hire professional cleaners. Why? Because professionals go through rigorous training and safety protocols to get certified, as duct cleaning is a dangerous job with a high risk of injuries. Getting injured while doing duct cleaning may end up costing you more money than hiring a professional.
Now, before you check into that store to purchase the heavy-duty gloves and goggles for the DIY duct cleaning process, consider checking out a quote from entireductcleaning.ca for the best, most professional and highest quality duct cleaning service!
We are Entire Duct Cleaning and we are here to provide you with professional duct cleaning services. Our team of trained and skilled professionals make sure that the air you breath inside your homes and offices is clean and pollutant free. We provide duct cleaning services for residential and commercial properties to help eliminate irritants and allergens such as pollen, smoke, dust mites, bacteria, etc. We service Toronto & the GTA and all cities within a 50 km radius of Toronto including Brampton, Mississauga, Milton, Oakville, Pickering, Ajax, Vaughan, North York, Richmond Hill, Scarborough.
We take great pride in our craft! Therefore, our highly experienced team uses specialized machines and tools to do a professional job! We are always striving to give our customers the best experience and are here to answer all your queries. You can contact us at (416) 278-7661 or fill in the form below for more information and to get a price quote.
Request a Duct Cleaning Quote!
- Monday 8am–6pm
- Tuesday 8am–6pm
- Wednesday 8am–6pm
- Thursday 8am–6pm
- Friday 8am–6pm
- Saturday 9am–6pm
- Sunday Closed
Areas We Offer Duct Cleaning Services
- North York
- East York
- Richmond Hill
- King City
- Port Perry
- Durham Region